Effects of Buckeye Nuts on Dogs

Effects of Buckeye Nuts on Dogs

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Buckeyes -- also known as horse chestnuts -- are highly toxic to dogs. The nuts can also pose a choking hazard to dogs.


Buckeyes contain several toxic chemicals, including aesculin and aescin, a glycoside and a saponin, as well as alkaloids. These chemicals can produce a multitude of different signs in your pooch. Gastrointestinal signs are common and include vomiting, diarrhea or drooling. It typically takes a sizable ingestion of buckeyes or buckeye plant parts to cause neurological signs, but they may develop and include depression, twitching, seizures or coma. You may also notice dilated pupils in your pup.

Treating Ingestion

If your dog shows any signs or if you suspect he ate parts of the buckeye tree in your yard, contact your veterinarian immediately. She may induce vomiting in your canine to remove the toxic components. She may also give a medication -- activated charcoal -- to prevent his intestines from absorbing the toxic compounds.


Watch the video: Can Dogs Eat Nuts. Is It Safe? (August 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos