We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Dog has diarrhea only at night. What should we do?**
Don't overreact. Dogs who have diarrhea frequently (at least three or four times per week) are usually older dogs or puppies who are eating a new diet.
**Diarrhea can be caused by an upset stomach. Help your dog stop the diarrhea by giving him anti-diarrheal medication, such as Kaopectate.**
**Treating a dog who has diarrhea.** First, clean the stool off the dog and try to determine the cause. If you notice blood, start treatment as soon as possible. Then start antibiotic treatment.
Keep these antibiotics handy because if you're traveling to another city or state, you may need to switch the prescription.
* **_Pentasa._** This medication is often helpful for diarrhea caused by yeast. It can't be used for more than three to four days. If you get it from a vet, he or she may even try it for a day or two first to make sure it's the correct antibiotic. (Don't buy it over the counter.)
* **_Tobramycin._** Another good choice for yeast infections. If your dog is very young, you may need to split the dose, giving half the amount twice a day. (Don't buy it over the counter.)
* **_Ciprofloxacin._** One of the better, more expensive antibiotics for dogs who have diarrhea caused by _Campylobacter_ and the like.
**A diarrhea outbreak usually follows eating a new food. Help your dog stop the diarrhea by giving him Kaopectate, an anti-diarrheal medication.**
**Laxatives.** Laxatives can be extremely useful in reducing diarrhea. One of the best is Kaopectate (for dogs and cats). It makes a dog less sensitive to liquid and can be given every four to six hours. (Don't use it for longer than 24 hours. You can't tell if your dog is getting relief.) If your dog is showing any signs of pn, stop giving it and take him to your vet immediately. (Don't use Kaopectate if your dog's diarrhea appears to be caused by bacteria, such as _Campylobacter._ )
* **_Milk of magnesia._**
* **_Lactulose._** Lactulose is another good choice for diarrhea caused by yeast, usually given to dogs twice a day in the amount of 1 teaspoon to 1 cup of water (use a dropper to make sure your dog swallows the liquid).
If your dog is taking any medicine or is ill, you can't use Kaopectate or lactulose. You should keep taking all your medicines, otherwise, your dog won't get any relief from the Kaopectate or lactulose.
When your dog is recovering from diarrhea, you can give him about two cups of water a day. A healthy dog usually doesn't need this much, but if your dog is having a bad time and the diarrhea seems to be lingering, you may have to increase your dog's fluid intake.
### **POISONOUS PLANTS**
If you see any strange-looking plants or flowers on the street, pick them up and check to see if they are poisonous. Don't let children touch them or eat them, and put them right away in a plastic bag. Keep the bag in the freezer until you are ready to call the Poison Control Center in your area. Also, don't eat wild foods you pick up off the ground.
Also, be on the lookout for these signs that your dog may have eaten a poisonous plant:
* **Erections.** If your dog becomes erect and stiff (not relaxed) while chewing and then falls down and begins to writhe and twitch, he may have had contact with a toxic plant. The toxin irritates the nervous system, making your dog tense and sometimes arching his back and twisting his body to relieve the pn.
* **Dry mouth.** When a poisonous plant leaves a bitter taste in your dog's mouth, he may not want to chew. Some plants make your dog pucker his lips and give him a bitter-tasting watery saliva.
* **Diarrhea.** If your dog has a lot of diarrhea, he may not want to eat. Some plants cause diarrhea by disturbing the normal balance of bacteria in the intestine.
* **Vomiting.** If your dog vomits in a short period of time after eating a poisonous plant, you may want to consult a veterinarian.
* **Fnting.** Fnting spells can occur when your dog eats a plant that contns certn types of poisons.
* **Dullness.** If your dog eats a plant that contns a toxic substance, he may have headaches, stomach upset, dizziness, and other symptoms that include dullness. The symptoms should be mild and last a day or two.
## Dangers of Poisonous Plants
Some plants can cause problems for your dog, but they're not always fatal. To know the dangers of a plant, you must first know which parts are dangerous. The leaves, for instance, may contn poisonous substances, but it's the seeds that are the danger. This is why some people give a bitter taste to the seeds of a plant.
Some plants contn toxins that can irritate the nervous system, which can produce stiffened muscles, twitching, or trembling. This is more likely to occur if your dog is ingesting the plant while it's in the middle of eating or chewing. Sometimes, a person can be affected by eating a poisonous plant if he happens to nibble on a seedpod or flower while he's eating. Or, when he reaches down to pet a dog that's eating a poisonous plant, he can get into trouble.
Never let your dog help you find or dig up a poisonous plant. Also, never put a poisonous plant in a bowl or give it to your dog.
The risk is highest when you take your dog out to an area where he could eat poisonous plants, such as your garden, for example. Your garden is also a favorite place for a dog to urinate. To minimize your dog's exposure to poison, you need to know the following common and toxic plant families. (These plants have different poisonous substances, so always use the antidote of your choice after your dog eats or ingests any of them.)
## Food Poisoning
Some of the plants that are poisonous to humans are also poisonous to dogs. Most of these foods contn alkaloids, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other digestive symptoms in your dog. These include:
**Asparagus:** This plant is a member of the lily family and is often found growing in large, shady areas of your yard. Eating asparagus can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and possible kidney damage in dogs. Make sure that your dog stays away from asparagus plants.
**Blackberry, raspberries:** These tasty-looking berries are part of the rose family. Although the berries are not poisonous to humans, the plant is very poisonous, and if eaten, the berries can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and death.
**Cayenne pepper:** This hot, fiery pepper is the source of capscin, a substance that can burn your dog's skin and cause internal damage. Although the plant isn't generally considered poisonous to humans, its effects are often quite unpleasant.
**Chrysanthemum:** Also known as "mums," this plant is